College Lifestyle Magazine

Don't Miss

Answering Writer Questions

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  LTCL 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

LTCL
    Keymaster

This is a topic for writers to submit their questions about writing their articles. Please post your questions and an admin or other experienced writer will help find a solution.

LTCL
    Keymaster

I’m going to paste an email I received from Rachel, one of our writers and my response:

Alex,

I submitted the Taylor Swift article for review. I was a bit confused as to how to include links in sliders, so I included a few collages and images. Feel free to add links to brands like Forever 21 and Urban Outfitters which are two brands that I think suit the style in this article perfectly. Also, I tried to embed the link for the video at the top of the article and i’m not quite sure if I did that correctly. (I’m still learning about video on WordPress.)

Let me know if I can go in and edit the article and images in any way. I’d love to learn how to do the sliders if you could give me some tips, that way I could save you the work. Also, i’m always open to criticism as to how I can improve my article and formatting so feel free to let me know your thoughts!

Thanks so much. Have a great St. Patrick’s Day!

Rachel

LTCL
    Keymaster

This was my reply to her question:

Links in sliders: this can be done a couple of ways. First is by using wordpress—after uploading but before inserting the image, look at the options and add the URL you want to link the image to. Click the little dropdown menu that says “media file”. You could also do this manually by inserting image and adding HTML to turn it into a link.

It is important to note two things with the slider: You can only add one slider per article. Unfortunately our slider tool isn’t the greatest. And second, you might also struggle with the sizing of the slider. If it is not cooperating try and use the “Tabs” shortcode instead. So to recap, click on the slider short code in your tools list, then insert the image between the shortcodes. When you click the slider button it will insert the following (notice how it tells you where to put the image- between the panels:   [slider][pane][/pane][pane]Pane 2 content goes here. You can add as many panes as you want using this technique.[/pane][pane]Pane 3 content goes here. You can add as many panes as you want using this technique.[/pane][/slider]    

Youtube videos should work. I assume you watched the fifth video of the tutorial, right? I cover how to do that in there. But if you did and it still didn’t work it might just be glitching. Make sure you didn’t miss any steps and let me know if it still doesn’t work: http://livingthecollegelife.com/how-to-write-for-ltcl-magazine/

Some techniques that I have found helpful include: Spoon feed the reader your creative sense. You CAN assume our readers are intelligent and will understand what you say but you CAN’T assume they are creative on their own. If you are creative for them, they will love you for it. So, when saying “this is a fashion tip”, you need to give them exact examples like pictures of what you’re talking about and explain why you chose each example (use short captions in images or make an image with photoshop). That leads to very rich content.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.