Rostam’s 30 – DJ Soulman’s Interview
Rostam’s 30 is LTCL Magazine’s new initiative led by DJ Rostam to introduce new hot artists to our college readers. Simply put, we interview these artists with 30 questions and provide their music links for you to download and listen to daily. Let us know what you think about DJ Soulman with a comment below!
DJ Soulman made his mark in the music world as the lead vocalist for the all American rap rock pioneers, the Phunk Junkeez. Since they signed with Interscope Records, they have released six albums. From the time Soulman began his solo career, he has made his presence known as a DJ worldwide. He recently held down DJ & Emcee duties for the 311 Caribbean Cruise tour, and kept the crowd rocking from Miami to Turks. It’s all about the energy of DJ Soulman’s Live show. The energy of the people dancing and moving to the music is what it’s all about. In 2009-2010 he played shows in the US & Japan and has performed at special events that included the likes of Deadmau5, 311, Girl Talk, Yves LaRock, DJ Vice, DJ Scene, Ashanti, Jamie Foxx, Mann, Robin Thicke & Jennifer Hudson tour, Keri Hilson Tour, EDGE Fest 2008, Mandalay Bay, Paul Mitchell Gathering 2009, AVP volleyball expo.
DJ SOULMAN is also the owner and founder of SOULmgmt, the exclusive booking agent for resident DJ’s and nightclubs throughout the Southwest and California.
- Full Name: Joe Valiente
- Stage Name: SOULMAN
- Occupation: DJ/Producer
- Genre: Open Format
- Gender: Male
- Age: 41
- Where did your stage name come from? Given to me by all my High School friends.
- Where are you from? Phoenix, AZ, but I live in California now!
- Where did you start your career? Phoenix, AZ.
- What city do you represent? Phoenix and Los Angeles!
- What gave you that initial push? I was a singer in a band called PHUNK JUNKEEZ, but have been DJ since I was 13.
- How long have you been in the industry? Since 1984.
- If you had to give a thank-you speech, who would you thank and what would you say? My mom, my wife, my family and my dogs (not like DMX, like my my actual dogs past and present).
- What makes you a softie? All the girls in my family.
- What would you do if you knew you couldn’t fail? I’m not afraid to fail, its part of success!
- What are three hobbies of yours other than what you do? Manage DJs and bands, promote events and ride my fixie.
- Pepsi or Coke? Coke, it has the bite!
- Rap or Hip Hop? Rap.
- House or Dubstep? House.
- What do you eat a lot more than anything else? Fried Chicken!
- What was the first event you ever played at/put on? Sir Mix A Lot.
- What are some of your accomplishments in the field? Never had a real day job, ever. I have always been involved in DJ’n and in the music business.
- What makes you different than everybody else in the industry? I’m the SOULMAN.
- Do you produce? If so do you prefer performing or producing? I enjoy performing other peoples music better than my own. But I enjoy the vibe of creating in the studio as well.
- Who would you love to perform with? I have played with everyone from Deadmau5 to 311 & Sublime tour, so I am always looking for someone to play with.
- What’s your longterm goal? To get my GED lol!
- When all the partying is over how do you like to chill out? Hang by the beach in Hermosa!
- Funniest thing that ever happened at an event? During a Michael Jackson tribute in Hollywood, my drive froze, and Jamie Foxx was staring at me like “oh hell no” I wanted to crawl in my headphone jack hole. It was the worst ever!
- What advice would you give to up and coming artists? Keep grinding it, do your best to stay relevant and flexible. Music is always evolving and revolving in genres and styles. So keep an open mind, and an open ear.
- What are your goals for 2013? I will be cruising with 311 this spring and plan on doing shows all summer long. check me out at djsoulman.com or on facebook DJ Soulman.
Feel free to let us know what you think of DJ Soulman with a comment below. Also be sure to check out one of SOULmgmt’s working DJs featured on Rostam’s 30, DJ Kue.