Rostam’s 30 – DJ Flipside’s Interview
Rostam’s 30 is LTCL Magazine’s new initiative led by DJ Rostam to introduce new hot artists to our college readers. Simply put, we interview these artists with 30 questions and provide their music links for you to download and listen to daily. Let us know what you think about DJ Flipside with a comment below!
DJ Flipside is a Chicago native DJ who is well known for his ‘Flipside at 5′ on Chicago’s B96. Flipside, ‘The Dopest DJ on the Planet’ is best recognized by his mash-ups and his scratching ability on the turntables. He is the co-producer for Jump Smokers, and he’s worked with a lot of big names in the music industry.
The Chicago based crew that have created dance club anthems that have led industry insiders to nickname them “Kings of the Dancefloor”, serving as a natural theme and title for their debut Ultra Records release. Official JS remixes include the likes of Pitbull, P!nk, Britney Spears, Usher, Katy Perry, Rihanna, Jessie J., Selena Gomez and Mariah Carey’s ‘Obsessed’ (included on the worldwide album release). Furthermore, Jump Smokers were commissioned to remix 12 tracks from Mariah’s ‘Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel’ for her remix album series.
Be sure to check out DJ Flipside’s official Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Ustream for more interaction. His clips on YouTube will definetly give you a better reasoning behind his title ‘The Dopest DJ on the Planet.’
- Full Name: Vince Garcia
- Stage Name: DJ Flipside
- Occupation: DJ/Producer
- Genre: House/Hip Hop
- Gender: Male
- Age: Really?
- Where did your stage name come from? Flip is another word for Filipino, I used to do Gymnastics so I would Flip all the time, and the dictionary definition of “Flipside” is the “B” side of a record.
- Where are you from? Chicago, IL.
- Where did you start your career? I started by making show tapes for my talent shows. Then, I started making mixes with cassette decks before I got turntables. All while I was in Junior High, so I guess I started there.
- What city do you represent? Chicago, IL.
- What gave you that initial push? The love of music and the infatuation with scratching.
- How long have you been in the industry? I started in 1993.
- If you had to give a thank-you speech, who would you thank and what would you say? That list is long. I’d say a short version would be thanks to God, my family, DJ Speed, Erik Bradley, B96 and my Jump Smokers crew. I could go on forever.
- What makes you a softie? I love girly records. I don’t know why but I like female vocals and tend to sing those when no one is listening.
- What would you do if you knew you couldn’t fail? Play the lottery, or star in an action movie!
- What are three hobbies of yours other than what you do? I love making movies and working with video. I’m also an X-BOX fiend and a big soccer fan.
- Pepsi or Coke? Pepsi.
- Rap or Hip Hop? Hip Hop all day son!
- House or Dubstep? House Music All Night Long (Say What?)
- What do you eat a lot more than anything else? MCdonald’s. My Life is always on the go and it’s the easiest and sometimes the safest when in other countries.
- What was the first event you ever played at/put on? Well, I did tons of house parties and school parties when I was young. My First club gig was a teen club in Palatine.
- What are some of your accomplishments in the field? 2 time midwest DJ of the Year at the S.I.N. Awards, Promo Only Mixshow DJ of the Year. Guitar Center Regional Finalist.
- What makes you different than everybody else in the industry? My Ability to be creative with my sets, read the crowd, and versatile with my style. I can play hip hop like a hip hop DJ and house like a house DJ. Some people don’t understand the difference.
- Do you produce? If so do you prefer performing or producing? I am the co-producer of Jump Smokers and love doing production. DJ’ing is always my love though because I’m a performer at heart.
- Who would you love to perform with? Depends on the party! I’d love to rock out Nicky Romero, or Hardwell, but I’d love to rock with Justin Timberlake, or Kanye West on some other stuff.
- What’s your longterm goal? I’d love to have multiple top 10 hits and create the song that will get symbolize a generation and get played past the years of my life.
- When all the partying is over how do you like to chill out? Love to be with my girl, hang with my family, play X-BOX and eat!
- Funniest thing that ever happened at an event? No comment!
- What advice would you give to up and coming artists? It doesn’t come overnight, it takes lots of hard work and practice to make it! Focus on being a true talent before you focus on your gigs. When you’re prepared for your moment, you show them why you deserve to be there and that you belong!
- What are your goals for 2013? Release more original production with the Jump Smokers, tour as DJ, get more placements with bigger Artists! And hopefully sleep.