Rostam’s 30 – QuESt’s Interview
Rostam’s 30 is LTCL Magazine’s new initiative led by DJ Rostam to introduce new hot artists to our college readers. Simply put, we interview these artists with 30 questions and provide their music links for you to download and listen to daily. Let us know what you think about QuESt with a comment below!
QuESt is a young and an upcoming artist blowing up through Youtube. His style is very unique. The Miami native artist first popped onto the radar in 2009 as champion of the “Survival of the MCs” contest, where he beat out 660 other Hip Hop artists to win a first-look deal with industry Mogul Jermaine Dupri and the then-newly-formed TAG Records. After seeing the label fold only a few months later, QuESt maintains a positive attitude about the whole experience.
- Full Name: Sylvan Lacue
- Stage Name: QuESt
- Occupation: Emcee
- Genre: Hip Hop
- Gender: Male
- Age: 22
- Where did your stage name come from? An array of different stage names. My last stage name before QuESt was actually Question. Somebody literally yelled out “Hey QuESt!” one time, and it kind of just stuck with me. As I’ve grown as an artist and man though, it perfectly describes my life. I’m always trying to search for answers and explanations for things, even the things I can’t control. The QuESt as some may say, will never end.
- Where are you from? Miami, FL.
- Where did you start your career? I started my career in my room when I was 7 years old in Miami, FL. I picked up my pen and pad, and just started writing. I Was definitely inspired by The Roots “Baby You Got Me” that day though. Ever since then I haven’t stopped.
- What city do you represent? Miami, FL.
- What gave you that initial push? The desire to create something and call it my own. It’s almost God like. Though I’m no God, and not anywhere near to be.
- How long have you been in the industry? Professionally, I’d say 5 years.
- If you had to give a thank-you speech, who would you thank and what would you say? I would thank God first. My family, my friends and the ones who have helped me progress through out my career including my fans and loyal supporters.
- What makes you a softie? Charlie Brown, Christmas ornaments and my girlfriend.
- What would you do if you knew you couldn’t fail? Nobody ever REALLY fails. We just fall. That’s why you have to have a strong back, and a strong pair of legs to keep you going.
- What are three hobbies of yours other than what you do? Listen to music and watch massive amounts of movies.
- Pepsi or Coke? Coke.
- Rap or Hip Hop? Hip Hop.
- House or Dubstep? Dubstep.
- What do you eat a lot more than anything else? Chipotle.
- What was the first event you ever played at/put on? At my Elementary School, I did a rap about the FCAT in front of the whole school.
- What are some of your accomplishments in the field? I’ve successfully released 9 projects, I was the winner of Jermaine Dupri’s Survival Of The Freshest Competition in 2009. I have toured in California with Logic & Tayyib Ali. I have done shows with the likes of DMX, Schoolboy Q, MGK (Machine Gun Kelly), Mickey Factz and etc. Also, my latest project “Fear Not Failure” has reached 12,000 downloads to date. Which I am humbly proud of.
- What makes you different than everybody else in the industry? I speak from the heart (pardon my honesty). Which is something I pride myself on entirely. I also feel my message and my NEATO (Never Ever Allow The Obscene) mindset which I promote to my listeners also allows me to stand out. I genuinely want to add positivity into peoples lives. My music is dark, deep and cinematic, but it is still helpful and can aid anyone in need. I also feel like my voice is very unique which I’m proud of. A distinct voice in this industry is vital.
- Do you produce? If so do you prefer performing or producing? I actually don’t produce, but would love to. I’ve been thinking about getting into it more and more.
- Who would you love to perform with? Jay-Z & Coldplay.
- What’s your longterm goal? To own my own set of businesses that I have a genuine passion and interest in.
- When all the partying is over how do you like to chill out? I actually don’t party much, so I’m always making music, or in front of a computer trying to make things happen with my team.
- Funniest thing that ever happened at an event? There was actually a kid who stage dove off twice on my set. It was insane. He flew 14 hours to see Logic. Great times.
- What advice would you give to up and coming artists? Stay true to yourself, never compromise what you believe in. Always have faith in yourself and the plan that God has for you. Make sure your team is in order, and that you have the final say. And never stop. Always keep going, no matter what.
- What are your goals for 2013? I want to keep growing as an artist and a man. I plan on releasing a new project sometime in the Summer/Fall. I also want to tour and do more shows to build my fan base. Keep spreading the NEATO mindset, and allowing my brand to flourish. I also want to launch my merchandising, and begin working on my first project to be sold as well. More videos, more impacting singles, and changing more and more lives.
Download QuESt’s Album ‘Fear Not Failure.’
Watch QuESt on Youtube!